Are you tired of worrying about water on your daily adventures? It doesn’t matter if you are exploring a third world country or going on a day hike in your own backyard, having access to clean water is critical. The GRAYL Ultralight Purifier Bottle makes it easy. Lightweight, portable, and easy to use, this purifier bottle can provide you clean, purified drinking water from pretty much any water source in the world.
Weighing in at only 10.9 oz., the GRAYL Ultralight Purifier Bottle removes 99.9999% of viruses (Rotavirus, Norovirus, Hepatitis A), 99.9999% of bacteria (E.coli, Salmonella, Cholera) and 99.999% of protozoan cysts (Giardia, Cryptosporidium). It also filters particulates, like sediment and silt, and many chemicals, like chlorine and iodine. Heavy metals, such as lead and arsenic, are removed too–all of these affect health, flavor, odor, and clarity.
GRAYL offers patented purification plus filtration technology with their replaceable purifier cartridge. Their patented Electroadsorptive Media creates a submicron trap, acting as a magnet to remove pathogens and inorganic compounds. The ultra-powdered activated carbon then filters toxins much more effectively than block or granulated carbon. Silver treated zeolites are a natural antimicrobial that then inhibits growth and keeps the purifier fresh between uses.
The GRAYL Ultralight Purifier Bottle is super easy to use and works with only one press. It doesn’t require batteries, UV bulbs, chemicals, pumping, sucking, squeezing or prolonged waiting.
- Size: 9.625” H x 2.875” W
- Weight: 10.9 oz.
- Capacity: 16 oz.
- Flow Rate: 15 seconds per 16 oz. (2 liters/minute)
- Purifier Lifespan: 300 uses (40 gal/150 L)
- MSRP: $69.95
- Street Price: $59.95
How to use
Using the Grayl Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle is pretty simple. However, there are some tips and tricks that can make it even more user-friendly.
- Make sure NOT to fill past the indicated fill line.
- Utilizing your body weight for mechanical advantage, press with steady downward force.
- Always press at a lower height, either on the ground or on a surface no more than 20 inches off the ground. This makes it easier to press using your body weight.
- Before applying steady downward pressure, ensure the lid is removed or loosen the lid enough (1/4 turn) to allow the air to escape.
- If the lid is removed, avoid “cupping” the palm of your hands over the top of the INNER PRESS. This allows air pressure to release during the filtration process.
- The purifier has a lifespan of 300 uses, which is roughly 40 gallons of drinking water. It also features a hefty shelf life of 10 years for an unopened Purifier Cartridge stored under proper conditions. Once you begin to use a cartridge, it will last at least three additional years.
The good and the bad
- Easy to use
- Self-contained unit
- Excellent virus protection
- Convenient size
- Decent filter life
- Press takes a bit of effort
- GRAYL Ultralight Replacement Purifier Cartridge ($24.95)
After it is all said and done, the GRAYL Ultralight Purifier Bottle has earned a place in my gear. I like the design and convenience in terms of usability and I often find myself grabbing it for travel. It is my go-to for impromptu day hikes or short trips and I also keep one in my emergency kit at home for extra peace of mind. Pick one up and let me know what you think.